Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tuesday, September 22nd, 2009

Hello all,

Before starting, I wanted to give a special SHOUT OUT to Mr. Smith, and Mrs. Brewer for helping me compile an awesome list of websites to guide us through our learning process. THANKS guys!!

Today we reviewed Fractions and Decimals again. We did six problems together looking at a number and naming the place value of the Decimal. The students have 7 or 8 problems to do for homework, most finished it in class, it was a very easy assignment. They also were given a hundreds chart and 5 "rules". Using these rules they had to create a design that met the "rules". The "rules" were:

• Have to use Blue, Red, Green and Yellow.
• 1/10 of your design has to be Blue
• 3/10 of your design has to be Green
• 0.25 of your design has to be Red
• The remaining part of your design has to be yellow.

The students had to create two designs using these "rules" and then explain how they knew how many to color with each color. Hopefully it should have sounded something like...
"I knew that 1/10 of 100 is 10, so 10 of my squares needed to be blue, 3/10 of 100 is 30, so 30 needed to be green, 0.25 is = 25/100 so 25 of my squares needed to be red, then when I added the squares that I've already colored (10+30+25) I get 65. I subtracted 65, my total number of used squares, from my total number of squares (100) and got 35, so I colored 35 squares yellow.

Obviously, they aren't going to use those same words, or even that lengthy of an explanation, but for your benefit, this is how they should have decided how to color what!

No comments:

Post a Comment